Of the old venetian city of Chania, one whole neighborhood remains, while of the fortifications (early 13th century), the bastions, moat and ruins of the walls surrounding the city have survived and well preserved.

Plenty of monuments from that era, are still in existence in the city. Among them are the Loggia (once, a gentlemen's social club), the Hiones (Neoreia) dating since 16th century, the breakwater of the venetian harbor and the churches of San Francesco (now houses the Archaeological Museum), San Rococo and of the Savior (Sotiros).


The Vila Rotonda, most probably the country estate of some venetian feudal lord, dates since the 16th or 17th century and it is located southwest of Kissamos (43 km. west of the city, and near the village of Kalathenes).

At Agia Gramvoussa, a remote islet in the northwest of the district, are the remains of a venetian fort. Getting to the islet is difficult, and can only be done by caique from Kissamos, weather permitting, departing early in the morning during the summer.

At Paleochora, washed by the waves of the Libyan Sea, 73 km. south of Chania, the ruins of the Castel Selino rise out of the shore. This fortress was built in 1279 by Duke Marino Gradenigo, governor of Crete.

Frangokastello about 11 km. east of Chora Sfakion (Sfakia), is the site of the old "Castel Franco" (Franchise Castle), built by the Venetians in 1371 as a defense against pirates and Cretan rebels.


The Great Gate, one of the old city gates left over from the venetian fortifications of 1450-1570.

The Loggia, mid-16th century, was a social club where the lords and noblemen used to meet and relax. It is now the Archaeological Museum.

The Fortezza, north of the city, on Paleokastro Hill. Built in 1574, it offers a marvelous view of the city and the sea. The facades of Venetian houses, most of which are found in the old city. The churches of San Francesco and Our Lady of the Angels, known as the church of the "Little Virgin" (Mikri Panayia).

The Rimondi Fountain, north of Petihaki Square, a 17th century work.


The old fortifications at Chandax (the old name of Heraklion), reinforced for the Venetians in 1462, are still in good condition today. Of the fortress's seven bastions, the one called Martinengo - where the simple tomb of the famous cretan writter N. Kazantzakis is located - has survived and offers a view over the entire city. Two of the four entrance gates to the city, the Chania Gate and New Gate, still stand on the south side.

Koules is the name of the imposing fortress at the entrance to the venetian harbor. It was constructed between 1523 and 1540.

The Bentenaki, the breakwater running from the venetian harbor to the bay of Dermata or Koum-Kappi. The vaulted arsenals, the shipyards where the venetian galleons were built.

The Morosini (1628), Delimarco (1666) and Bembo (1588) fountains on the north side of Kornaros Square.

The Palazzo Ducale, the residence of the Duke of Crete and the Loggia (reconstructed), the nobles social club.

The basilika of San Marco (13th century), today an exhibition hall, and the Orthodox church of St. Titus (1446).


At Spinalonga rock-isle, at the entrance to Elounda Bay (12 km. from Agios Nicholaos), the site of the ruins of a fortified castle built by the Venetians in 1526 to present enemy ships from entering the harbor.

In the city of Sitia (70 km. east of Heraklion), the scant remains of a fortress, built during the Byzantine era stand of the western limits on the city.

On the far western side of the town of Ierapetra (36 km. southest of Agios Nicholaos), near the sea, lie the ruins of a fortress erected in the early years of venetian rule and radically rebuilt in 1626 by Francesco Morosini the elder when he was governor of Crete.